Saturday, September 4, 2010

Women's Brunch at Church

Last Saturday, my Mom and sister were in town for the weekend and we attended a Women's Brunch at my Mom's church. We had a wonderful time! This is not the best picture of Mom, but it was the only one I had of us.
There were 100 ladies in attendance! We had brunch and then heard a member of the church speak on her cancer experience.
This is my good friend Nancy who prepared the food. She is an awesome cook! We had homemade scones, 2 kinds of quiche, oven roasted potatoes, cheese grits, French toast w/mixed berry sauce, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Nancy and her sister love cooking and have even authored their own cookbook. Nancy's sister is the pastry chef at our local country club, so these gals know how to cook!!!
This fresh fruit bowl was delicious!

A view of the buffet table. Don't those scones look good?

Last weekend my Mom came down to see her eye doctor. My Mom, sister and I spent Friday and Saturday "thrifting". We went to almost all the thrift shops in the city where I live and we found some of the best treasures. I collect milk glass and I got a lot of pieces to add to my collection. I was thrilled. I also picked up a lot of other odds and ends. I love to thrift shop! The thrill of the hunt is so much fun. Plus, I love to buy things and then re-do them.

As you can see, we had a wonderful ladies weekend, doing just what we love to do. Eat and shop!!!

Here's hoping you all have a great Labor Day weekend. I am at home by myself this weekend trying to get my upstairs packed up and ready to have new flooring put down. I feel like I am moving, because I am having to pack up all the knick knacks and store them downstairs, so the flooring men will only have to move the furniture. I can't find anything around here now. It will be worth it in the long run, but it has been a lot of hard work. I will be glad to have everything back in order. I am not a neat freak, but I do like some order to my living. This place is a wreck!

My dining room looks like a storage building and my living room is full of new mattresses that I have for 2 of the bedrooms. I would love to have the flooring put in and the rooms put back together by mid October. Because at that point, Thanksgiving and Christmas will be just around the corner. Always something going on when you own a home.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Love & blessings from NC!
Melinda

19 comments:

  1. I love getting together with sisters in Christ. What a blessing! and...
    The food looks dee-lish!

    Have a terrific Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to spend time with the special ladies in your life. The tables look so elegant.

    Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! that food looks delicious! we're getting a new roof put on this weekend. not really a fun "decorating" project, but needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful that you got to spend some time with your mom and sister. What a buffet. I love quiche and you don't see it much any more.

    I love thrift shops too. Lots of goodies there. Only problem is packing them when you redecorate. Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend. At least Earl left us alone.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great brunch! Toss me a scone! :) They look nummy! :) I know what you mean about the the house... Ours is just about 15 years old, and It feels like every month there is something that needs to be, fixed, replaced or repaired! UGH!

    Have a great weekend!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOPS! Hi Again! I meant to thank you for the very kind comment you left on my post. :)

    Have a great weekend!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun!!!! I am so glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great time you must have had. That brunch spread looks beautiful and so yummy. You find wonderful things to do. Be sure to get Walnut Cove on your schedule this year:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good time was had by all at the Brunch! The "thrifting" with you sister sounded wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a wonderful time with loving family and yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had a blessed visit with your mother and sister.
    I also collect milk glass!Have a great weekend.
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great time with your mom and sister.

    Hitting every thrift shop in town sounds like a blast!

    Have a wonderful Sunday and Labor Day!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to know the name of your friend's cookbook and where I might get a copy. I love cookbooks of all kinds.
    Eleanor
    emann227@sc.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    So gald you got to spend time with your family and friends at the lovely church lunch,and also had fun hititng the thrift shops. The food looks yummy.

    Have a great Labor Day and don't work too hard.
    Blessings,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melinda, I have had the most wonderful time looking through past posts this evening. Your wonderful photographs make me long for my mother and her home in Lexington, NC. I nearly fainted to see the plate of black-eyed peas and NC BarbQ. Also so sweet was the post about your daughter's childhood tree. I have my daughter's childhood tree in my yard as well. Thank you so much for visiting me at my blog and especially for the fall crafting idea about the silk/plaster leaves. I will look forward to seeing these created! Have a lovely holiday weekend. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE thrift shopping. I like looking for things that I can fix up. I found the cutest table that I painted and now use in my living room. I think it so cute that your family is always in Lily! hehe.

    Btw. I left you a little blog award on my post today! Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melinda, Thanks for all the sweet words you sent my way:) I love looking through your blog, the food looks amazing! Apparently we have a lot in common. All my milk glass came from my mom, and I do miss her. It's such a blessing that you still have your mom, and her mountain house is wonderful! Happy Labor Day
    Blessings,
    Becky C
    Buckets of Burlap

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun time that was, and being able to share it with your mom and sis must have been wonderful. Food looks great - can't imagine being able to cook for that many.

    Sounds like we're sharing upheavals. Like you, I feel like I'm packing up to move, and in a way I wish I was, it would be much easier, ha! ha! Hope you get your new floors soon - I know my ceilings will be done in 3-4 days, thank goodness, then he'll be outside painting the exterior while I put everything back together......if I can find it!

    Looking forward to meeting you at Penny's - I think we'll both be ready for a break by then!

    Enjoy the day - Mary

    ReplyDelete