Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Fall Y'all......

Today is a bittersweet day as we say good-bye to summer and hello to fall. I have had an amazing summer with my family and friends, but I do so love fall and am anticipating lots of wonderful things to do in September and October. That is one thing I love about North Carolina... we have 4 beautiful seasons to enjoy!

I love my little pumpkin decoration for the door that I picked up last week. I have it on the back of my front door for all to see as they leave. I enjoy decorating for the different seasons.

This Labor Day weekend I have been busy working around my house. My husband left from work on Friday and headed down to visit our married daughter and spend the weekend with her. He helped her clean out her office and take some stuff to Goodwill. He always enjoys that Father/daughter time with her! He came home on Sunday afternoon and is here today, since he is off work.

I have not left the house since Friday, so I have gotten a lot done here. I am packing up the upstairs bedrooms and moving everything downstairs in anticipation of getting new flooring installed soon. What a job!!! I never knew anyone could accumulate so much stuff! My dining room looks like a flea market!! I am in hopes that when I move the stuff back into the bedrooms, that I can sort through some of this stuff and clean out a bit. In my older age, I am getting to the point where I don't want so much "stuff". I love my collections, but I don't want a lot of other stuff sitting around.

I haven't had a very exciting Labor Day, but it has been productive and I feel good about what I have been able to do. I have enjoyed my time at home by myself. I guess we all enjoy having "me time" every now and then.

My sweet little "Grand-dog" Chi Chi came to visit me on Sunday. Chi Chi is on the left and Adelaide's little dog, Holly is on the right. Aren't they sweet? They love sitting with each other in their beds. They take turns. One minute they are in Holly's pink bed and then another minute they have jumped over into Chi Chi's "mink" bed. They were so excited to see each other.

Lauren, Thomas and a friend of theirs drove up for the afternoon and evening to visit a friend who was here from DC. They all had dinner together at his parent's house and I babysat Chi Chi.
I loved seeing Lauren and Thomas, even if it was just coming and going. I never miss a chance to see my sweet daughter and son-in-law.

As I think back on my summer of 2010, I have many wonderful memories of happy times spent with family and friends. It was a laid back summer with many trips to the mountains and the beach. Adelaide was home with us all summer and that was such a blessing. I always enjoy having her home from college.

We enjoyed going to the beach music festival each week, watching TV together, shopping, eating out, talking and just hanging out. Although the weather was super hot and humid where we live.... thank God for air conditioning. Adelaide and I had a new favorite summer treat, a frozen yogurt shop, that we visited quite frequently. You select your yogurt ( 7 flavors) and then put all the fresh fruit and toppings on it that you want. Yum!!! Oh, the joys of summer.

I now am looking so forward to cool nights, crisp days, wearing sweaters, football games, pumpkin bread, apple pie, the changing leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, etc. etc. Fall is a glorious time of year and filled with lots of activity. There is the anticipation of Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner!

I hope you all have a blessed Labor Day and a wonderful week ahead, enjoying this beautiful fall weather. Good bye summer! See you next year!!!!

Love & blessings,
Melinda

27 comments:

  1. Melinda, I am not even going to pretend to be sad Summer is over :-) I am most definitely a Fall person. Ok, you doggies are so cute! Totoally adorable. And I can't wait to meet you either. It should be fun meeting everyone at Penny's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a wonderful summer and I've enjoyed it with you in your posts!

    I'm ready for fall now, too. It's my favorite time of the year.

    Blessings back to you from the NC Coast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. A perfect way to end a season and begin a new one. I am not quite ready to let go of summer yet....maybe in a week or two :-).

    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post! I already have my Christmas list started :-) Love your new decoration. I guess I could get out the few things I use for fall. Don't do a lot for fall or Thanksgiving. I save all my energy for Christmas - haha. Hope you're having a great day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post for this late summer day. After our long, hot summer I must say I am ready for fall to come. I like your Happy Fall Y'all door hanging.
    How nice for your daughter and her dad to have some time to spend together while accomplishing some work at the same time. Your job at home sounds like a big one, but think how nice it will be to have fall and the holidays come and that big job will be behind you. Both of my boys are out of the nest, but their bedrooms are still loaded with stuff. Once in a while I am tempted to have the carpets cleaned, but the thoughts of moving all of that stuff makes me change my mind :).
    Love the pic of your two little doggies. We have a chihuahua and have grown to really love her to pieces.
    Happy Fall to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a warm and homey post! I too love fall and all the possibilities...a wedding in our family in the midst of fall! It's exciting to stay home and pull out fall things and just plain nest, isn't it?

    Cute little puppies!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your summer has been great and now Fall is upon, but that is just another fun season. Can't wait to meet you at Penny's!! Angie and I are riding together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, even though I'm ready for some cooler weather, I'm not ready to see Summer come to an end....

    You definitely have been busy this summer for sure! Seems like I'm just now getting started with vacations, etc.... lol....

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those dogs are adorable! I'm glad you got a lot accomplished...we had such nice weather and took advantage of that to be outdoors. I need to do some clearing out but I guess winter will be here soon and we're stuck indoors a lot then so maybe. Seems I can always find something more fun to do, no matter the season. Which is why my basement still has some boxes to be sorted from the move. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came over from Laurieanna's blog, I see we have lots in common. I, too, am ready for some cooler days of fall as NW Georgia has had a hot, hot summer. I'll be back to read more.Come see me!
    Carol in GA
    http://antiquesanduniques.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am past ready for fall after the long, hot and humid summer we have had here in NC. I'm with you on wanting to pare down and not have so much stuff as I get older. You will be so happy when you look down and see those beautiful wood floors and all this work will just be a memory.

    Thanks for coming to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just had a long weekend and i still need a day off to get things done. how sad is that? i'm sending ella to preschool tomorrow.....i have mixed feelings if i'm doing it too soon or not! i sure would feel more relaxed if i knew she would be in a classroom with a teacher like you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn is my favorite time of the year so I'm also looking forward to it very much!

    I know what you mean about de-cluttering. I have been trying to do the same lately. I've lived in the same house for over 30 years so things have accumulated. It's hard not to want new things when I see so many bloggers displaying so many wonderful decorative items and tablescapes on their blogs, but I keep reminding myself that sometimes "less is more" :) So I just enjoy those items through the blogs I look at.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Fall sign...so cute! You've had a busy summer for sure. It still feels like summer here and probably will for another month or so, although our mornings are a bit cooler.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you believe it is Fall already?!! Geez!

    So glad you got some "me" time this past weekend. It always makes you feel refreshed to have that, ya know?

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your door hanger is soooo cute.

    I am more than happy that summer is over but I certainly can understand those who love it.

    Your doggies are just toooooo completely cute!!

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Fall to you. This is my favorite time of year. Hurry cooler weather. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have had a busy summer! I am sooo ready for Fall this year after the hot summer.
    The "grandbabies" are adorable!
    It sounds like you got a lot accomplished this weekend.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you - ready for fall! I love all the different seasons but I "love" celebrating (or decoration I should say) for fall the best! Love your pumpkin...

    And the brunch at church looks like such a nice time...what a terrific menu! Looks like it really has been a nice summer for you and your family - lookin' forward to those special fall moments and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm ready for fall, too. It's cooled down quite a bit in the last day so it's starting to feel very fallish. It's nice to stay home alone every now and then and really work to get things accomplished. It's the best time to declutter,too. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi sweetie, I don't mind saying goodbye to summer, especially since ours was so hot this year. I enjoy the changing of the leaves and the cool brisk air.. I hope you're enjoying your week... hugs and hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Fall Melinda...
    Loved seeing all your Mountain pictures.
    Such a wonderful time you had!
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like you had a marvelous Summer!
    "Granddogs"...I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found your blog....and have enjoyed reading it! Your title caught my eye first .... I'm an empty-nester too...and my youngest is a senior in college! I am interviewing for a nanny position on Friday evening --- I've never been a nanny before! I'd love to hear how you are enjoying it...and any advice you have! you can find my email on my blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy fall! Love your cute pumpkin. So happy you got to see Lauren and Thomas. My parents are coming to visit me next weekend and I just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Already getting the pumpkins out - you are on the ball! We're supposed to be in the upper 90's again next week, so it's hard to get the fall decorations out when it's still so hot. But I am ready!!!

    You have had a great summer and I'm glad you got to spend so much time with family.

    ReplyDelete