Monday, September 13, 2010

Update on Mom!!!

Thanks for all the sweet comments and prayers for my Mom today. It was a long, hard day at Duke for her, but she did great and the doctor recommended surgery for her to see if she could get some improvement with her vision.

They don't know how much damage there has been to her eye, but he wants to try the surgery in hopes that he can restore some (but not all) of her vision. When she had her surgery back in January, they put oil in her eye and some of that oil has leaked out and is covering her cornea and causing a cloudy film over her eye. She also has a lot of scar tissue in her eye, that the doctor wants to remove.

After all of this is done, he hopes that she will see better, but he said that she would never have the vision that she had prior to the cataract surgery. He told her that if she did not have the surgery, that her eye would continue to get worse until she was totally blind in that eye. Needless to say, Mom was willing to have the surgery to prevent this, but also hoping to regain some vision. Anything would be better than what she has now.

The great thing is that they have an opening for her surgery a week from Tuesday on September 21st. We were thrilled that she will get to have her surgery so fast. And hopefully will be on the road to recovery real soon.

We really liked the doctor at Duke and feel like he will be the answer to prayer for my Mom. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

Love & blessings,
Melinda


20 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for your sweet Mom...and her surgeon. And you too, of course.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm a Tarheel, I have to say, she's in good hands @ Duke. Best of luck to her (and you!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda,
    I pray that the surgery goes well and she so fortunate to have it so soon!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melinda,

    Believing God to see all of you through these next few days, weeks....and believing He is able to do all things!

    Praying for all of you! Keep us posted!!

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news. So many times there is nothing they can do and you have no hope. I'll keep you and your mom in my prayers that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad they are able to schedule the surgery so quickly - that helps keeps nerves at bay! I will keep her in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melinda,

    I am hoping that the surgery works for your Mom! Prayers for her and hugs for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll add her to my prayers too Melinda. I'm sure that's been really difficult. I know she is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many treatments for things that we just had to put up with years ago. Prayers for your mom, and glad they could get her in so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for your mom! SO glad they were able to fit her surgery in soon and that you found a great doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a praise to find out there is an option. Praying for a successful surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed, I will. Bless her heart and yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sending virtual hugs to you and your mom! she seems so sweet. i hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Melinda,

    I am keeping your Mom in my prayers, the same thing happened to my Dad 5 years ago, he did regain a little more vision after the second surgery and then with the correct glasses, it was another 20% too. My prayers are with you and your Mom. Thanks so much for your support through out my own tough summer and hopefully this fall we can all catch a break and our Moms will be ok! Lotsa love, Cynthia xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melinda, I am thinking of your Mom with her eye problems because my mom and I both have had retina problems. Mom had a detached retina and surgery years ago and she got better. i have had two surgeries for tears on my retina. We understand eye problems!

    Praying her eyes will be made "brand new"!
    Blessings to you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My prayers are with you and your Mom for her upcoming surgery.
    Carol in GA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending prayers for your mom's successful surgery - hope all goes really well for her at Duke.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. May God bless her as she waits. Waiting is sometimes the hardest part....for YOU too! Praying for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous news! And so quickly! Prayers for you and your mom! xoxo

    ReplyDelete