Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lauren's Pine Tree!

When my oldest daughter, Lauren, was just a little girl (around 3 or 4 years old), our church gave out pine seedlings to the children during children's church. Our youth minister, Mark, encouraged the children to take their little seedling home and plant it. I don't even remember the story that went along with the seedling, but Lauren was fascinated with her little seedling and wanted us to help her plant it.

My Dad suggested planting it at the mountain house, as he felt like it would have a better chance of growing up there in the cool mountain air. He helped Lauren take her seedling from the paper cup that it was in and plant it next to the fence in the back yard of the mountain house.


Lauren will be 27 years old in October and this is what her tree looks like today. You can see how big it is now. Isn't that amazing?
When we were in the mountains this summer I had her stand by "her" tree and I took this picture. The first picture shows how tall the tree is.

I showed the picture to Mark and he couldn't believe that the tree had actually lived. (I'm sure most of them probably were never planted or else they died).

If you have small children or young grandchildren, this would be something fun to do with them and watch it grow over the years. We will always enjoy the memories of planting this tree and Lauren can tell the story to her children one day.

15 comments:

  1. I have heard of this idea but never did it with my own. I knew I wouldn't be in the same house...But what a great idea to do it at your parents home in the mountains! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly awesome!!! And how beautiful is your Lauren? My son will be 27 in December - now didn't we just give birth to them??

    ;-)

    Thank you for being such a sweetheart. Enjoy your weekend and I will be thinking of you while you play in your own beautiful home.


    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is sweet...I love it! Enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story...How can 27 years go by so quickly? Just wondering how you are holding up under your "storm" this weekend? Praying for all of you on the East Coast seaboard, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband planted pine seedlings his grandmother gave us years ago. She's gone now, but those trees are still growing strong.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to tell you! I am sending you an invite to my private wedding blog so you can follow along with everything! It is called Blush and Bashful, so if you see the invite...it's from me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! Love it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents gave us each a tree to plant in our back yard when we were youngsters - they grew so tall, and it was fun to watch to see whose tree grew the fastest! One year a storm blew through and broke all 3 in half. They were Poplar trees - tall, and thin....and perhaps about 12 ft. tall at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both Lauren and her tree are beautiful! Isn't it amazing how quickly time passes?

    Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just signed up to follow your blog. Beautiful post. Come visit! Peace, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story and experience. What would the world look like if we all planted a tree when our children were little. Pretty green and great I think:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea - I wonder where my Miss Roo and I could plant a tree together?? We have no yard (to speak of) but we might be able to do a palm tree at her house in Florida:) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melinda, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete