Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lady Diana Exhibit - Atlanta Civic Center

One of the highlights of our trip to Atlanta this past weekend was a visit to see the Lady Diana exhibit at the Atlanta Civic Center. It was an amazing exhibit!!! If you live nearby and can get to see it before it leaves Atlanta in June, by all means, please go see the exhibit. You will LOVE it! These banners were hanging downtown advertising the exhibit.
We couldn't resist getting our pictures taken beside the huge mural of Diana. Here are my girls (Adelaide on the left with the pink purse and Lauren on the right) posing with Diana.
I love this picture of Diana! Isn't she beautiful? And how about these beautiful women with her? My girls are certainly "Princesses" in my book!!!
This was a neat saying that Lady Di's brother wrote about her. It was on the wall as we walked into the exhibit. A very true statement, indeed!
Diana's crown was breathtaking!!!! Isn't it every little girl's dream to be a princess and wear a crown?

I took this picture myself, even though we were told not to take pictures inside. I couldn't resist. My girls just about had a fit, because as I was taking the picture, a security person walked into the room. I didn't see the person, but they didn't say anything. I guess I am a rebel in my "old age". I wanted a picture and I took it! After the girls fussed at me, I didn't try to take a picture of the wedding dress, but I later found some pictures online to upload and show you all.

These were 2 of the many outfits that were on exhibit that had been worn by Diana. I loved seeing all of her outfits and most of them had pictures of her wearing them, as well.
This blue cocktail dress was on exhibit, but this is a picture of her wearing the dress to the ballet.
This was a necklace that had been worn by Diana. The jewels hanging on the necklace could be taken off and worn as earrings. There were lots of other jewels that were on display too and they were all very beautiful.
I absolutely loved Diana's wedding shoes. These pictures don't do them justice. All the handwork and beading on them was so beautiful!!! I could just imagine her dancing the night away in these gorgeous shoes. Even the bottoms of the shoes were pretty!
Her wedding dress was amazing! And the train is 25 feet long!!! I so remember the day she got married and how I got up in the middle of the night to watch the wedding. I will always remember that day and how radiant Diana looked. She was loved by so many and was such a spectacular bride marrying her Prince! There was also one of the little flower girl's dresses too. On the screen behind the dress, they showed footage of the wedding and their carriage ride after the wedding.
I didn't get any pictures, but there was another room about her funeral. They also showed footage of the funeral and processional and it was so sad. In the background Elton John was singing the song, "Goodbye England's Rose...." It was all I could do to keep from crying. It was very emotional for me!

There was also lots of things from Lady Di's childhood, personal letters that she had written, one of her report cards, toys from her childhood, pictures, etc.

Another room had things about Lady Diana's charities that she gave her time and money to. As her brother said, she was a very compassionate person and she reached out to those who were in need and who were hurting. She held Aids children, touched lepers and had such a heart for those less fortunate.

It was a very personal exhibit and one that my girls and I truly enjoyed! I thank the family for being so generous and allowing these items to be shared with the public. What a wonderful way to share her memories with the world! It is evident that Lady Diana is stilled loved by so many. The exhibit was certainly a CELEBRATION of her life!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. She was an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved watching her, such a compassionate lady. She deserved more then Charles! Sure wish I could get to Atlanta, but will be busy next month. Wonder if they will have it in Charlotte any time soon.

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    (I have been enjoying your blog)
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you soooo much for doing this post...I'm going to be in Atlanta next week for a few days with my daughter Mary Claire...maybe the two of us will check this out. How long does it take to go thru it?

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fascinating exhibit! I remember being enthralled with Princess Diana when I was younger. In fact, I believe I had a paper doll set of her!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a place I would love to go to. I hope it travels and makes it's way here to So. Ca as I would be there in a heart beat. I loved her so much and like you remember her wedding day and her funeral. It was such a sad day.

    Thanks for sharing these photos...I would be taking my own photos too. Then if I got caught I may stop :) Hey, we are bloggers, we just "have" to take photos!

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have to make a day trip to Atlants after the wedding and see the Diana Celebration. I always thought she was so elegant! I would love too see the dress, jewels and shoes. I remember watching when she married Charles.
    Blessings,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the surreptitious picture : )

    It was fun seeing these again...such a sad story. Thanks for sharing. I love your daughters pink purse too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad that her life was ended so soon. I loved this post and would love to visit the exhibit. Thank you for sharing all the pictures. What a gorgeous girl she was!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I loved reading and seeing all the wonderful memories of a one in a million Lady. Diana was an unbelievable person and loved by everyone. I can remember where I was when I heard the news of her tragic accident. This was an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could come to Atlanta to see this. I wonder where it will travel to next? Maybe closer to me? I thought she was an amazing woman. Troubled in some ways, but doing the best she could. Such an unfortunate accident that took her life. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post. Is this a traveling exhibit? I sure hope if it is that it comes to Chicago. I'd love to see it. I saw the Jackie Kennedy exhibit several years ago and it was amazing. My magazine came today. Thank you so much. I can't wait to sit down later tonight and look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post and all the great pictures.
    She was certainly a beautiful lady....inside & out.
    I remember the day she died. What a shock.

    You girls look so cute.
    I know the whole trip was lots of fun.
    I like that you took the picture anyway. I'm not usually a rule breaker, but I probably would have taken that picture too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing....I would love to see this. She was such a beautiful woman....inside and out.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah such sweet memories.

    As a 7th grader I set my alarm to watch her wedding and remember sadly setting my alarm to watch her funeral.

    What a lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always liked reading about Lady Diana and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always thought she was lovely--and I, too, sat up for the wedding(and the funeral).

    I know she was troubled. I have always hoped that she was saved---she did so much good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh. My. Word.

    What a fabulous exhibit, I had no idea it was so incredible, your photos are simply fabulous. (We applaud your inner rebel making an appearance, even if the girls were cringing!)

    The tiara is just TDF, and the picture of your two Princesses is darling, but my fave is the one of all three of you.

    Thank you for sharing all of the fabulosity, it really makes me want to go to the exhibit!

    Smiles at you,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember waking up so early for her wedding. My sister and I were in grade school. It was the most spectacular event I have ever seen!

    My sister has also been to this exhibit. I am also hoping to get there one day! It is on my list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a treat to come and visit your site. My first time. And to catch glimpses of Princess Diana... those were wonderful memories. She and Prince Charles came to Alberta, Canada in 1982 (I think it was). I was working in the provincial Legislature Building at the time, and what a hubbub and a flurry when they came to town. I have pictures of that memorable event. Now that you reminded me, I'll have to go look at them.

    What a treat.......... here's wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places. I'd love to have you come and visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. THANK You so much for sharing your trip there. I also ADORE anything Diana related...I would have LOVED to have seen that. I SO enjoyed scouring your photos and hearing your story about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diana was such a beautiful person inside and out-what a horrible loss to the world! The pictures of her were always so beautiful! Thanks so much for showing us some things from the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there! I just found you tonight through "Diana" (ha! ha!) at To Everything A Season. I am 56 also and in Sept when our baby girl gets married, we will have an empty nest too! You were close to my neck of the woods while you were in Atlanta. Glad you had such a wonderful weekend. Beth Moore is anointed for sure! The "Princess"had a fairytale life for a while didn't she? Tragic that it all ended the way it did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fascinating and beautiful exhibit! I hope it comes to NYC as I'd love to see it all myself.

    I felt so sad and shocked when Diana died...it is nice she is being remembered so well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did I not hear about this? I wonder if it's still there. Thanks for sharing the photos. Now, was that really her wedding gown?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to see this exhibit! I loved Diana. I got up early to watch the wedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh this was a fun post to read and look at! Loved that blue dress she wore to the ballet!

    ReplyDelete