Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Random Dozen


I have enjoyed reading the Random Dozen on my BFF Joyce's blog, so I decided to participate myself.
It was originally started by Linda on her blog, A 2nd Cup of Coffee. The topics have been real interesting and it has been fun to get to know the people better.
Who knows, you might want to become a part of the group too and share yourself with others!

1. When was the last time you craved a food - what was it, and did you cave?

Just now while working on the computer I was craving something sweet, so I went down and used my trusty Keurig coffee maker and fixed myself some hot chocolate with LOTS of whipped cream on top! For those of you who know me well, it is no surprise to you that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sweets of any kind. Give me a cookie, a piece of cake, pie, cheesecake, Krispy Kreme donut or chocolate candy and I am a "Happy Camper"!! Growing up, my Mother always made homemade sweets for us at home and I am just a "sweet-a-holic".

2. M & M's or Skittles?

I don't eat M & M's very much, but if I do, I much prefer the peanut M & M's. My favorite candy is a Heath bar or almond joy!

3. Have you ever read the Bible completely through?

I have not read it through at one time, although I would like to. As many Bible studies as I have done in my life, I'm sure I have read most of the scriptures, but just not all at one time. I have done all of the Beth Moore studies. I have also completed the entire series at Bible Study Fellowship. I have done lots of other individual studies as well. I really love my small group and being with other women studying the word.

4. How long does it take you to really wake up in the morning?

When my alarm goes off in the mornings, I am up and out of the bed. I hit the floor running and I don't stop for the rest of the day. I am also a very happy person in the morning when I get up and I am ready to tackle the day. For those of you who know me well, you know that I really am a night owl too. I stay up late and get up early. I just don't require a lot of sleep, although when I do go to sleep, I am out like a light. I have been known to nod off sitting at the computer!

5. Have you ever been on a cruise? If not, would you like to?

Cruising is my all-time favorite way to travel. I went on 2 cruises when I was in college and that got me hooked! My husband and I cruised twice before children. In 2000, our whole family (my hubbie, our 2 girls and 1 boyfriend... now husband, my parents, my sister, brother-in-law and niece) went on a cruise together for Christmas. We had the time of our lives and are still talking about what an amazing Christmas we had that year. We want to do that again sometime.
I never have any trouble with being seasick and they treat you like a Queen on the ships. Great food, entertainment, beautiful beaches, sunshine, etc. Cruising is certainly a wonderful way to travel! I hope we can go again soon.

6. Who is your favorite actress?

That one is hard, because I have a lot of favorites. I have always enjoyed Meryl Streep. Her role in Julie and Julia was so good! I can't wait to see her new movie, It's Complicated. I also love Sandra Bullock. She deserves an Academy award for her role in The BlindSide. She was awesome!! I have also always loved Julia Roberts. I could keep going with listing favorite actresses, but I will stop. There are just so many great ones to choose from!

7. ___________ is something that I will just never understand?

Math is not my subject, never has been and it never will be. I could never help my children with any of their math when they were in school (even elementary). As they say, I was behind the door when the math brains were passed out. Don't get me wrong, I can balance my check book and pay bills, etc., but when it comes to figures, I would rather do anything but that. My daughter is an accountant, but she sure didn't get her math skills from me. Thank goodness!

8. How much of a technology junkie are you?

If it weren't for my 2 girls, I would be totally lost in the techno area. I was behind the door on that one too! This past year with learning to blog and do Facebook, I have really been stretched in the techno area. I have "cheat sheets" to tell me how to do things on the computer, because I have a hard time remembering everything. There are still things that I have not mastered, but maybe in time. (Thanks Lauren and Adelaide for your patience in helping me. I know it is hard sometimes when I just don't get it!) I'm trying!!!
I have learned to Text out of necessity. Now I love texting my girls and also my friends. My girls both have iPhones and they want me to get one, but I have not tackled that one yet. Maybe someday.

9. Do you enjoy selecting greeting cards for people, or is it more of a cultural "have to" for you?

I LOVE greeting cards. I love to get them and I love to send them to people. I send LOTS of cards. I send so many that I keep a journal and record each month who I send cards to and what the occasion is. I send cards to my girls to encourage them and to let them know how proud I am of them.
I buy so many cards, that I have them organized in plastic shoe boxes on my shelves in my office. (Birthday, sympathy, thank you, get well, thinking of you, friends, holiday, miscellaneous, etc.) I am constantly shopping for cards and putting them in my boxes. I will read lots of cards before I find just the perfect one to send someone. I like to have cards on hand when I need them to send out.
I also enjoy making homemade cards. For fun, I go once a month to take a class and make cards. We have made some really pretty cards!
I got my love of cards and my letter writing from my Mother. She is almost 86 years old and her ministry is sending cards to people. She hand writes notes or letters in each card that she sends.

10. When was the last time you got a new style/haircut?

I get my hair cut every 5 weeks. I will be getting a haircut this week. I got my hair cut a bit shorter this past time and I plan to have mine cut a little bit shorter this time too. My hair grows so fast. It was really short about 6 years ago, and my girls suggested that I grow it out and have a change. I have enjoyed it longer, but now, as I said, I want it a little shorter. As women, are we ever satisfied with our hair? If mine is curly, I want it straight... if it is long, I want it short, etc.

11. What do you enjoy shopping for most?

I love shopping for a good bargain. I am a thrifty shopper and I love to get a good deal on whatever I buy. I like to get the most I can for my money!

12. What's the last thing you think of before you leave the house?

I always make sure that I have my cell phone. I make sure that the coffee pot is unplugged, my flat iron is unplugged and that the door is locked. I also make sure that the dog is OK.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this post! It's always fun to learn more about each other, isn't it?! We have a lot in common for sure.

    I'm so glad you're blogging again.

    Hugs from Beachkat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you joined in the fun...we do have lots of similar answers
    but I'm not surprised : ) We could definitely do breakfast together....I love mornings. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are alot alike........your answers sound like some I could have written!! ;D

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun getting to know you more! I think you and I inherited the same math gene. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - also a great way to learn about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I feel like I know you a little bit better. Last night when I walked in the door, returning home from Bible study, my husband asked "Are you ok? Did you survive?" He saw I'd left my cell phone at home. (It was tough, but yes. I made it.)
    Hugs,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved this post and getting to know you better. we have a lot in common. i have a big sweet tooth too! i love that you send handwritten notes; at times it just seems like nobody does it anymore. instead, it's an email or text or tweet. nothing makes me happier than getting a card in the mail. isn't that so cheesy? i love it though, and if someone writes something i cherish it even more. because of this, i'm very good at sending cards and notes to people. i guess b/c i know how happy it makes me and i hope it makes someone else smile too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great post. We are so much alike. I'm so glad you are blogging again. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was interesting to read these little facts about you. I can relate to some of them ~ like the one about math. It doesn't come easy to me either. Oh, and the cheat sheets for computer related issues. I have a pad of paper full of them. Glad to know I'm not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was visiting the Random Dozen participants and got sidetracked when I found the Texas Blogging Gals! And you are on both sites! LOL

    I guess you're a transplanted Texan, huh? It's great to meet you. I enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete