Friday, July 17, 2009

Enjoying Our Week in the Mountains!!!!

My daughter and I have spent this week in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina with my sister and her husband. We have had the most relaxing week!! We have had no itinerary and have just done what we wanted to. Staying up late, sleeping late, eating lots of WONDERFUL food, sitting on the front porch (at night with a jacket), reading our books, looking at magazines, knitting, telling stories and laughing together, going shopping, etc. Just good old family time together!!!!


My sister's house has a tin roof and this morning I woke up early to the sound of rain pounding down on the roof. I rolled over and went back to sleep. Oh, the beauty of a vacation and getting up when you want to. The weather this week has been absolutely beautiful with highs just in the 70's. I know you Texas folks hate to hear that! At night we have to get a jacket or we get too chilly sitting out on the porch.


Fresh vegetables are in and we have been having the best dinners. Fresh corn, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, new potatoes, squash, zucchini, cornbread, biscuits, etc.!!! One day we went to a local restaurant that has home-style cooking complete with country ham and fried chicken. And fresh cobblers for dessert. YUM!!!


Yesterday we went to a huge antique store and I found some beautiful milk glass sherbet bowls to add to my collection. We had fun reminiscing about old things that we saw that our grandmothers used to have or that even we had in the past. Isn't it fun traveling back down memory lane?

Today I am meeting a friend for lunch in the beautiful town of Blowing Rock. It is a gorgeous resort town that is here in the mountains of NC. I have taken lots of pictures this week, so I will post some next week for all to enjoy.


Adelaide and I feel so rested and relaxed and hate to go back home on Saturday. We are excited though to be going home to attend a wedding on Saturday night. My associate from pre-school last year has a daughter who is getting married. We are going to the evening wedding and the reception is afterwards at the Country Club. I love weddings!

Have a great weekend everyone!!! Love & blessings from NC!

10 comments:

  1. I am glad you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. You certainly deserve it. I love weddings too. Especially when I'm not paying for them. I'm so excited that you'll get to see your market basket tomorrow. I've already used mine and love it. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melinda! You are making me SO JEALOUS!!! Sounds like lots of fun and an evening wedding to top it all off!!! Enjoy - Sincerely, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where in Blowing Rock did you lunch? I love the muffins at The Blowing Rock Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds just wonderful to me! Hope you continue to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything sounds so wonderful Melinda.
    I'm so glad you have had such a relaxing time.
    The food sounds great.
    And you are so blessed to have weather in the 70's.
    It's been over 100 degrees here and finally we had a little cool down yesterday and today. 90's. :)
    Enjoy the wedding tomorrow night.
    I love weddings too!

    And, yes a friend and i are going to Houston in Jan. to Beth Moore's church for the Scripture memorization event. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds like pure bliss! If I chose to live in any state besides KY it would be NC. It's beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NC mountains are the best!!! And Blowing Rock is so quaint and a wonderful place to visit!!

    Glad you're having a great time!

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds absolutely divine! I can't decide if the best part is the temperature or the rain on the tin roof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My summer camp was in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it is one of the most beautiful places in all the world. You have warm summer days, but cool nights with amazing sunsets. There is nothing like it! I am glad you enjoyed you time away with the family!

    ReplyDelete